- Looking for staff for your #blockchain startup? Or want to advertise an open post? Association members can advertis… https://t.co/Yuc1GjijZ1 2018-07-22
- Keep your finger on the pulse of the latest #cryptocurrency and #blockchain developments with our free news aggrega… https://t.co/K12D5y50GL 2018-07-22
- RT @ian_simpson80: This is what it will take for #blockchain to move even more mainstream… @validitylabs @ptsankov @HRitzdorf @SCBuergel… 2018-07-22
- Want to present your #blockchain project/startup/research to a group of like-minded individuals? Association membe… https://t.co/GpCQHJ66Et 2018-07-22
- Looking for funding for your #blockchain startup? Or looking to invest in #blockchain startups? Access a growing in… https://t.co/UVHh3sNEpC 2018-07-23
- @TMA_Bangkok Please visit: https://t.co/Lc3jUZqrUI in reply to TMA_Bangkok 2018-07-23
- Heated exchange – the ongoing centralisation vs decentralisation issue https://t.co/vdl5BUbI1p https://t.co/yOOJy2QpvY 2018-07-24
- Do you agree with the consensus on the USD price of Bitcoin (BTC) at 12:00pm CET on December 31st 2018?… https://t.co/BLGLTJs3fi 2018-07-25
- Tezos Hires 'Big Four' Firm PwC to Conduct External Audit – CoinDesk https://t.co/SqnXhay9hm https://t.co/zhQg3hDLU4 2018-07-25
- RT @melonport: The #Melon Olympiad in @swissinfo_en!
“The traditional asset management sector has high entry barriers. Most funds with les… 2018-07-26
- Want to discuss cutting edge technologies with other #blockchain developers. Join our Coder events… https://t.co/NscmDeselM 2018-07-26
- Want to partner with the Crypto Valley Association. Join a growing number of organizations offering capabilities an… https://t.co/o5fKM9BDCW 2018-07-27
- RT @validitylabs: #WhenMoon?!
#LunarEclipse over @thecryptovalley https://t.co/rZYrKrcx3F 2018-07-27
Support the show, consider donating: BTC: 1CD83r9EzFinDNWwmRW4ssgCbhsM5bxXwg ETH: 0x8cdb49ca5103Ce06717C4daBBFD4857183f50935 Martin Becze is a researcher at Dfinity working on a next-generation “Blockchain Operating System” called Primea – a cont…
- Looking for staff for your #blockchain startup? Or want to advertise an open post? Association members can advertis… https://t.co/Pi8f5Qlv7C 2018-07-15
- Keep your finger on the pulse of the latest #cryptocurrency and #blockchain developments with our free news aggrega… https://t.co/QjBNIWmxMX 2018-07-15
- Pay for your Crypto Valley membership by mining #monero or just do it as a donation. https://t.co/6L4n54Pbza… https://t.co/zZ1MMN2F00 2018-07-16
- Want to discuss cutting edge technologies with other #blockchain developers. Join our Coder events… https://t.co/Sppy4XNAdV 2018-07-16
- Want to partner with the Crypto Valley Association. Join a growing number of organizations offering capabilities an… https://t.co/roe8bAVn8n 2018-07-17
- QUICK LOOK BACK – Dominic Williams joined the first-ever Crypto Valley Conference last month and detailed the… https://t.co/TRHIE0QmCz 2018-07-18
- Blockchain Evolutions in Switzerland: Voting and Banking @Cointelegraph #cryptovalley #theswissway… https://t.co/EXNYfnSiFP 2018-07-18
- PERSONAL VIEWS: A short interview with Luis Cuende of Aragon covering his work, his reasons for being in… https://t.co/liWYsbDkyj 2018-07-18
- Are you a #blockchain or #crypto investor interested in high quality #startups deal flow from the Crypto Valley? A… https://t.co/pFySNemPrm 2018-07-21
Support the show, consider donating: BTC: 1CD83r9EzFinDNWwmRW4ssgCbhsM5bxXwg ETH: 0x8cdb49ca5103Ce06717C4daBBFD4857183f50935 The 2016 Ethereum hard fork left us with two distinct Ethereum chains. While the main Ethereum chain dwarfs Ethereum Classic in…
- Keep your finger on the pulse of the latest #cryptocurrency and #blockchain developments with our free news aggrega… https://t.co/KsJVhb3ZoR 2018-07-08
- As reported by @Cointelegraph – Main Swiss Stock Exchange to Launch Distributed Ledger-Based ‘Digital Asset’ Exchan… https://t.co/s0Zj12vbID 2018-07-08
- Looking for staff for your #blockchain startup? Or want to advertise an open post? Association members can advertis… https://t.co/f1gVtd7LNY 2018-07-08
- QUICK LOOK BACK at a great first day at the 2018 Crypto Valley Conference featuring Stefan Thomas from Ripple… https://t.co/8rZSLPdEaV 2018-07-08
- Want to present your #blockchain project/startup/research to a group of like-minded individuals? Association membe… https://t.co/PaBma6I7S9 2018-07-08
- QUICK LOOK BACK: 2018 Crypto Valley Conference: Day 1 – Panel "FUTURE OF TOKEN ECONOMY" #cryptovalley #blockchain… https://t.co/1NYdIKF2JI 2018-07-09
- Präsident der Crypto Valley Association: “Schweizer Notenbank befindet sich in der Zwickmühle” https://t.co/nJWGlRNpbU 2018-07-10
- QUICK LOOK BACK: 2018 Crypto Valley Conference: Day 2 – Panel "BLOCKCHAIN BEYOND THE HYPE" #cryptovalley… https://t.co/qMriXCom4o 2018-07-10
- Are you a #blockchain or #crypto investor interested in high quality #startups deal flow from the Crypto Valley? A… https://t.co/apgKrF7ohZ 2018-07-11
- Do you agree with the consensus on the USD price of Bitcoin (BTC) at 12:00pm CET on December 31st 2018?… https://t.co/KovKM2udot 2018-07-11
- RT @nschobinger: [meetup] Crypto & Valuation: We will discuss valuation of ICOs and of companies holding ICO-investments. July 19th in Gene… 2018-07-12
- Looking for funding for your #blockchain startup? Or looking to invest in #blockchain startups? Access a growing in… https://t.co/EUdZkfAkVK 2018-07-13
Support the show, consider donating: BTC: 1CD83r9EzFinDNWwmRW4ssgCbhsM5bxXwg ETH: 0x8cdb49ca5103Ce06717C4daBBFD4857183f50935 One of the key scalability challenges with public cryptocurrency blockchains is that their size grows linearly with the number …
This is the first in a series of “Personal Views” – short interviews with people of interest in Crypto Valley, sharing their views, experiences and perspectives on living and working in this unique ecosystem.
Ian Simpson (CVA): How did your team come together to work on Aragon?
Luis Cuende: Aragon One, the first team working on the Aragon project, has expanded from just 2 people (Jorge and me) to 13 now, but we have always been very careful about the team members we invite to our family. Some of them were community members, some of them were in the crypto space before, and some of them are even new to the space!
As a really early stage project, what were the things you needed, the “holes” where you said “Hey – we need someone to help us on this?”
Well, most of Ethereum infrastucture is very early, so we felt that way a lot of times. However, we had to build a lot of that ourselves, hoping that other projects can use all that infrastructure instead of creating from scratch.
Why did you decide to move to Crypto Valley?
It was a mix of reasons and there’s more info at https://blog.aragon.one/aragon-zug-f4d7aaff15e1, but basically right now Aragon needs a jurisdiction where the regulators and the government makes things easy. Zug has been so welcoming and the people here understand that crypto can help Switzerland keep progressing as a society based on privacy and freedom.
Aragon is about decentralized organisations. What are the qualities that make a decentralized organization strong? Why does the world need them?
One of them is the decentralization of power. Centralized power corrupts, as shown by history a lot of times. Decentralizing it out opens the door to running fairer societies all across the world. It also has benefits in the individual scale, for example allowing individuals in oppressive governments or institutions to speak up and organize themselves without being in a disadvantage with other individuals. With Aragon, a kid in Venezuela has the same tools to create value than a Stanford graduate.
You aren’t Swiss, but being here and hearing as people talk about “Crypto Nation” Switzerland – do you think this is what is needed? Or should countries and nations stay out of trying to be “the” country?
Well, I don’t think they can stay away from it. Crypto is a tool that will completely reshape society. As a part of reshaping society, they will also reshape government, commoditize it and flip the relationship with their citizens. Switzerland, and especially Zug, is very well positioned to be the crypto jurisdiction. This will obviously create jurisdictional competition with other places, but that can only lead to a race to create better governments that work for the people, and not the other way around.
Do you think blockchain technology by itself is capable of enabling fulling decentralized organizations…or does it have to be combined other systems, some centralized etc to work best?
Fully decentralized works best! Decentralization needs openness, free software, community governance… having one of those without the other doesn’t make much sense.
You made the statement at the Crypto Valley Conference that since you were born in ’95 you had no way of comparing the growth of blockchain to the internet boom – do you think this “ignorance” or lack of experience is a good thing? Does it make you free to experiment more?
I think so. We have to find a right balance between freshness and experience, but I definitely think that not having a lot of bias of how things used to be done is very positive for this revolution. Most of the times you cannot draw parallels because it’s too different.
Where will blockchain be in 5 years?
Blockchain is… (10 words or less)
An immutable shared source of truth powered by game theory
- Are you a #blockchain or #crypto investor interested in high quality #startups deal flow from the Crypto Valley? A… https://t.co/nwmMUox8R1 2018-07-01
- Keep your finger on the pulse of the latest #cryptocurrency and #blockchain developments with our free news aggrega… https://t.co/4h3DYZJtUm 2018-07-01
- Looking for staff for your #blockchain startup? Or want to advertise an open post? Association members can advertis… https://t.co/sq2mOLbtq7 2018-07-01
- RT @nschobinger: [read] PWC's report on Initial Coin Offerings: #ICO count & value 2018 will largely exceed 2017. Average size doubled to $… 2018-07-02
- Thanks @OscarWGrut for the overview! #cryptovalley #blockchain #crypto
Here's what it's like to visit 'Crypto Vall… https://t.co/p6r1DjTwCg 2018-07-02
- @PMeisser @businessinsider @stadtzug More of a chance to show off Swiss trains 😉 in reply to PMeisser 2018-07-02
- Things are moving forward in Crypto Valley…! #cryptovalley #blockchain #crypto #regulation
Switzerland looks to… https://t.co/9kzRLjtVIn 2018-07-02
- Crypto Valley is one of the 10 things in #tech to know today! #cryptovalley #blockchain
10 things in tech you need… https://t.co/xaRUzkDNvA 2018-07-02
- Pay for your Crypto Valley membership by mining #monero or just do it as a donation. https://t.co/6L4n54Pbza… https://t.co/swYa5RePIK 2018-07-02
- It was great having you with us! #cryptovalley https://t.co/0T0WJ32wgC 2018-07-02
- RT @SamChadwickXOR: After 18 months of hard work setting up @thecryptovalley association and delivering a #blockchain conference with peo… 2018-07-02
- RT @RalphAtkins: Swiss look to liberalise cryptocurrency bank access. “We hope to clarify relationships by the end of the year" #cryptovall… 2018-07-03
- RT @ian_simpson80: Once again, Zug dares to innovate…with success! #cryptovalley #blockchain #crypto @coindesk @MuyaoShen
Crypto Valley… 2018-07-03
- One small, but important step forward in #blockchain4government – hearty congrats to CVA members @luxoft & @hslu fo… https://t.co/RcLNeoIL5V 2018-07-03
- @jer979 @ArkEcosystem The long and the short of it…? 😉 in reply to jer979 2018-07-03
- More momentum for openness to #crypto businesses in Switzerland – and positive outlook from CVA’s Mattia Rattagi … https://t.co/dokm0V4xmQ 2018-07-03
- Looking for funding for your #blockchain startup? Or looking to invest in #blockchain startups? Access a growing in… https://t.co/ssvV9QlouW 2018-07-03
- RT @nschobinger: Enjoyed speaking about the #Blockchain ecosystem @thecryptovalley to guest of the Swiss Ambassador to France. Lots of mome… 2018-07-04
- RT @Gadienre: Full house yesterday @thecryptovalley First Tuesday meetup in Rathaus @Zug with @CryptExplorers and with Japan based @ICOVOCO… 2018-07-04
- Everyone is talking about #cryptovalley !
Switzerland's “Crypto Valley” Successfully Completes Blockchain Voting T… https://t.co/FOFLEqNGEV 2018-07-04
- Access a growing library of academic, economic and industry research applicable to the #blockchain ecosystem… https://t.co/F7oHz6aRFC 2018-07-05
- Major news coming out of #cryptovalley !
Swiss Stock Exchange to Tokenize Securities In New DLT Platform – CoinDesk… https://t.co/qtOkkH8WIw 2018-07-06
- RT @sionik_comm: There is evidence that big players are getting interested in the #crypto & #tokenized space! @sixgroup @coindesk @Badertsc… 2018-07-06
- Getting ready for an interesting fireside chat with Consensys founder @ethereumJoseph here in Zug! #cryptovalley… https://t.co/bAMtSTATUM 2018-07-06
- “When things get intense, people tend to revert to centralization…so [#decentralization] is tough.” – Consensys C… https://t.co/FaxO3mrxWN 2018-07-06
- Want to discuss cutting edge technologies with other #blockchain developers. Join our Coder events… https://t.co/QuhMcBXSzK 2018-07-06
- Want to partner with the Crypto Valley Association. Join a growing number of organizations offering capabilities an… https://t.co/xOy2oiTTdq 2018-07-07
- RT @ian_simpson80: “As distributed as our team is, it’s good to be together…so we’re excited to be here in Zug.” – Aya Miyaguchi welcomin… 2018-07-07
- Great to see the @ethereum team here in Zug! #cryptovalley #ethereum #techcrunch @TechCrunch @mikebutcher https://t.co/XblJLsFMRD 2018-07-07
The past week saw more action here in Crypto Valley – more so than usual.
For the third time in less than six months, Zug played host to a major blockchain event. After the successful Crypto Valley Conference in June and the equally well-attended Blockchain Summit in April, the Theatre Casino welcomed Tech Crunch and wide array of well-known names in the blockchain and crypto world.
Those names included Binance founder Changing Zhao, Consensys founder Joe Lubin, Galia Benartzi of Bancor and Crypto Valley’s own Mona El Isa of Melonport.
And then there was Vitalik Buterin – along with a strong contingent of the Ethereum Foundation, one of the main catalysts behind the birth and growth of the Crypto Valley ecosystem to begin with.
Burn in hell
It was, of course, Vitalik who provided the highlight quote of the event by declaring, “I definitely personally hope centralised exchanges go burn in hell as much as possible.” – a comment that figured into a wider discussion about the values and challenges of running a decentralised organisation.
While the quote itself would have been a headline-grabber in and of itself, it echoed even louder coming on the same day that SIX Group, the owner and operator of Switzerland’s stock exchange announced its plans to build the SIX Digital Exchange (SDX) – a DLT-based end-to-end infrastructure for the issuance, trading and storage of digital assets, including tokenised securities.
Numerous commentators, many on Twitter, did not miss the irony of the two events happening simultaneously – nor did they miss the chance to deride the move by SIX as purely marketing.
Not so serious
However, the second day of the Tech Crunch gathering, which featured an Ethereum meetup hosted by the Ethereum Foundation, provided additional perspective on the centralised vs decentralised exchanges discussion.
In a panel discussion that included Coinbase CTO Balaji Srinivasan and Vitalik, the question was raised “How can centralised and decentralised exchanges work together?” In response, Vitalik admitted that the bridge from fiat to crypto remains a strong area in which centralised exchanges such as Coinbase have a role to play.
A complex future
Although the subject of centralised digital asset exchanges for tokenised securities did not come up, the point can be made that a future which includes tokenised securities and all manner of financial instruments bound to the blockchain will not happen overnight.
It is reasonable, therefore, to see projects such as the SDX as inherently important to the transition to a tokenised future, given that the weight of market incumbents will be necessary to maintain an even keel and encourage adoption.
Will decentralised exchanges ultimately snuff out their centralised counterparts? It is too early to say – and the future may very well end up being a patchwork mixture of both.
Popular sentiment will be strong to support Vitalik’s wish – and to push out those who exploit centralisation for obscene gains.
And it may just be enough to take us all to a decentralised heaven.
Support the show, consider donating: BTC: 1CD83r9EzFinDNWwmRW4ssgCbhsM5bxXwg ETH: 0x8cdb49ca5103Ce06717C4daBBFD4857183f50935 When the Bitcoin Foundation fell apart and funding for Bitcoin core development was needed, the MIT founded the Digital Currenc…