- Are you a #blockchain or #crypto investor interested in high quality #startups deal flow from the Crypto Valley? A… https://t.co/nwmMUox8R1 2018-07-01
- Keep your finger on the pulse of the latest #cryptocurrency and #blockchain developments with our free news aggrega… https://t.co/4h3DYZJtUm 2018-07-01
- Looking for staff for your #blockchain startup? Or want to advertise an open post? Association members can advertis… https://t.co/sq2mOLbtq7 2018-07-01
- RT @nschobinger: [read] PWC's report on Initial Coin Offerings: #ICO count & value 2018 will largely exceed 2017. Average size doubled to $… 2018-07-02
- Thanks @OscarWGrut for the overview! #cryptovalley #blockchain #crypto
Here's what it's like to visit 'Crypto Vall… https://t.co/p6r1DjTwCg 2018-07-02
- @PMeisser @businessinsider @stadtzug More of a chance to show off Swiss trains ? in reply to PMeisser 2018-07-02
- Things are moving forward in Crypto Valley…! #cryptovalley #blockchain #crypto #regulation
Switzerland looks to… https://t.co/9kzRLjtVIn 2018-07-02
- Crypto Valley is one of the 10 things in #tech to know today! #cryptovalley #blockchain
10 things in tech you need… https://t.co/xaRUzkDNvA 2018-07-02
- Pay for your Crypto Valley membership by mining #monero or just do it as a donation. https://t.co/6L4n54Pbza… https://t.co/swYa5RePIK 2018-07-02
- It was great having you with us! #cryptovalley https://t.co/0T0WJ32wgC 2018-07-02
- RT @SamChadwickXOR: After 18 months of hard work setting up @thecryptovalley association and delivering a #blockchain conference with peo… 2018-07-02
- RT @RalphAtkins: Swiss look to liberalise cryptocurrency bank access. “We hope to clarify relationships by the end of the year" #cryptovall… 2018-07-03
- RT @ian_simpson80: Once again, Zug dares to innovate…with success! #cryptovalley #blockchain #crypto @coindesk @MuyaoShen
Crypto Valley… 2018-07-03
- One small, but important step forward in #blockchain4government – hearty congrats to CVA members @luxoft & @hslu fo… https://t.co/RcLNeoIL5V 2018-07-03
- @jer979 @ArkEcosystem The long and the short of it…? ? in reply to jer979 2018-07-03
- More momentum for openness to #crypto businesses in Switzerland – and positive outlook from CVA’s Mattia Rattagi … https://t.co/dokm0V4xmQ 2018-07-03
- Looking for funding for your #blockchain startup? Or looking to invest in #blockchain startups? Access a growing in… https://t.co/ssvV9QlouW 2018-07-03
- RT @nschobinger: Enjoyed speaking about the #Blockchain ecosystem @thecryptovalley to guest of the Swiss Ambassador to France. Lots of mome… 2018-07-04
- RT @Gadienre: Full house yesterday @thecryptovalley First Tuesday meetup in Rathaus @Zug with @CryptExplorers and with Japan based @ICOVOCO… 2018-07-04
- Everyone is talking about #cryptovalley !
Switzerland's “Crypto Valley” Successfully Completes Blockchain Voting T… https://t.co/FOFLEqNGEV 2018-07-04
- Access a growing library of academic, economic and industry research applicable to the #blockchain ecosystem… https://t.co/F7oHz6aRFC 2018-07-05
- Major news coming out of #cryptovalley !
Swiss Stock Exchange to Tokenize Securities In New DLT Platform – CoinDesk… https://t.co/qtOkkH8WIw 2018-07-06
- RT @sionik_comm: There is evidence that big players are getting interested in the #crypto & #tokenized space! @sixgroup @coindesk @Badertsc… 2018-07-06
- Getting ready for an interesting fireside chat with Consensys founder @ethereumJoseph here in Zug! #cryptovalley… https://t.co/bAMtSTATUM 2018-07-06
- “When things get intense, people tend to revert to centralization…so [#decentralization] is tough.” – Consensys C… https://t.co/FaxO3mrxWN 2018-07-06
- Want to discuss cutting edge technologies with other #blockchain developers. Join our Coder events… https://t.co/QuhMcBXSzK 2018-07-06
- Want to partner with the Crypto Valley Association. Join a growing number of organizations offering capabilities an… https://t.co/xOy2oiTTdq 2018-07-07
- RT @ian_simpson80: “As distributed as our team is, it’s good to be together…so we’re excited to be here in Zug.” – Aya Miyaguchi welcomin… 2018-07-07
- Great to see the @ethereum team here in Zug! #cryptovalley #ethereum #techcrunch @TechCrunch @mikebutcher https://t.co/XblJLsFMRD 2018-07-07
The past week saw more action here in Crypto Valley – more so than usual.
For the third time in less than six months, Zug played host to a major blockchain event. After the successful Crypto Valley Conference in June and the equally well-attended Blockchain Summit in April, the Theatre Casino welcomed Tech Crunch and wide array of well-known names in the blockchain and crypto world.
Those names included Binance founder Changing Zhao, Consensys founder Joe Lubin, Galia Benartzi of Bancor and Crypto Valley’s own Mona El Isa of Melonport.
And then there was Vitalik Buterin – along with a strong contingent of the Ethereum Foundation, one of the main catalysts behind the birth and growth of the Crypto Valley ecosystem to begin with.
Burn in hell
It was, of course, Vitalik who provided the highlight quote of the event by declaring, “I definitely personally hope centralised exchanges go burn in hell as much as possible.” – a comment that figured into a wider discussion about the values and challenges of running a decentralised organisation.
While the quote itself would have been a headline-grabber in and of itself, it echoed even louder coming on the same day that SIX Group, the owner and operator of Switzerland’s stock exchange announced its plans to build the SIX Digital Exchange (SDX) – a DLT-based end-to-end infrastructure for the issuance, trading and storage of digital assets, including tokenised securities.
Numerous commentators, many on Twitter, did not miss the irony of the two events happening simultaneously – nor did they miss the chance to deride the move by SIX as purely marketing.
Not so serious
However, the second day of the Tech Crunch gathering, which featured an Ethereum meetup hosted by the Ethereum Foundation, provided additional perspective on the centralised vs decentralised exchanges discussion.
In a panel discussion that included Coinbase CTO Balaji Srinivasan and Vitalik, the question was raised “How can centralised and decentralised exchanges work together?” In response, Vitalik admitted that the bridge from fiat to crypto remains a strong area in which centralised exchanges such as Coinbase have a role to play.
A complex future
Although the subject of centralised digital asset exchanges for tokenised securities did not come up, the point can be made that a future which includes tokenised securities and all manner of financial instruments bound to the blockchain will not happen overnight.
It is reasonable, therefore, to see projects such as the SDX as inherently important to the transition to a tokenised future, given that the weight of market incumbents will be necessary to maintain an even keel and encourage adoption.
Will decentralised exchanges ultimately snuff out their centralised counterparts? It is too early to say – and the future may very well end up being a patchwork mixture of both.
Popular sentiment will be strong to support Vitalik’s wish – and to push out those who exploit centralisation for obscene gains.
And it may just be enough to take us all to a decentralised heaven.
Neha Narula, Director of the MIT’s Digital Currency Initiative, joined us to discuss the evolution of the DCI, their most important research items and the recent controversy around IOTA.
Support the show, consider donating: BTC: 1CD83r9EzFinDNWwmRW4ssgCbhsM5bxXwg ETH: 0x8cdb49ca5103Ce06717C4daBBFD4857183f50935 When the Bitcoin Foundation fell apart and funding for Bitcoin core development was needed, the MIT founded the Digital Currenc…
- Keep your finger on the pulse of the latest #cryptocurrency and #blockchain developments with our free news aggrega… https://t.co/J3otJAZkXF 2018-06-24
- RT @blockcollider: 3 hours 30 minutes remaining until BCE3. ICO 77x oversubscribed, mining launch so big it gave centralized chains “pause… 2018-06-24
- Want to present your #blockchain project/startup/research to a group of like-minded individuals? Association membe… https://t.co/NE5DXP1c5u 2018-06-24
- Looking for staff for your #blockchain startup? Or want to advertise an open post? Association members can advertis… https://t.co/QN1LZ80IuA 2018-06-24
- RT @validitylabs: Sunny evening for a recruiting event at @impacthubzurich
We really need more #WomenInTech – also in @thecryptovalley!
- Dolfi Müller, Mayor of Zug casting the first vote on the #blockchain solution built in cooperation with CVA members… https://t.co/IBxsr1aHyN 2018-06-25
- RT @melonport: Pleased an honoured to be amongst these three Swiss companies awarded with WEF Technology Pioneer 2018!
Thanks to all our… 2018-06-26
- RT @fabs_imhof: Crypto Valley Conference 2018, #CVC18. The movers and shakers of the Valley present like Niklas Nilolajsen, CEO of Bitcoin… 2018-06-26
- RT @rasheduzaman_md: markfidelman : IBM presenting Blockchain solutions at #cvc18 – smart guy from a smart company. IBMResearch IBMBlockcha… 2018-06-26
- RT @mjgale: Zug really is the center of the #crypto universe #cvc18 https://t.co/h9gETiqoza 2018-06-26
- Swiss Federal Councillor Urges Inclusion of Blockchain in School Curriculums – EconoTimes https://t.co/AvBGaCtvSG #cryptovalley @econodaily 2018-06-26
- Luxoft’s E-Voting Platform Enables First Consultative Vote Based on Blockchain in Switzerland | Markets Insider… https://t.co/PfX16MkgT1 2018-06-26
- Excellent overview of VAT considerations for #blockchain tokens in Switzerland by CVA member Fineach Treuhand… https://t.co/g3yOZa3FGV 2018-06-26
- Blockchain Technology Can Make Same Impact as Internet https://t.co/Un2e0108Js 2018-06-26
- More innovation in Crypto Valley! @luxoft @hslu @stadtzug @swissinfo_en @matthewallen40 Swiss blockchain voting pla… https://t.co/2XlDhExRnE 2018-06-26
- Want to discuss cutting edge technologies with other #blockchain developers. Join our Coder events… https://t.co/f9YNkW7RL1 2018-06-27
- Do you agree with the consensus on the USD price of Bitcoin (BTC) at 12:00pm CET on December 31st 2018?… https://t.co/oDILOaPa5e 2018-06-27
- Want to partner with the Crypto Valley Association. Join a growing number of organizations offering capabilities an… https://t.co/SNMxR0EwVS 2018-06-27
- Check out the Crypto Valley events calendar for this month. https://t.co/h1L5TymTLp https://t.co/qr0Y7jZkGU 2018-06-29
- RT @ian_simpson80: No signs of slowing down – latest #ico numbers from @strategyand @thecryptovalley @DanielDiemers as reported by @Reuters… 2018-06-29
- Great rundown of the PwC Report published in cooperation with the CVA thanks to @Reuters @thomsonreuters… https://t.co/oOMTm3mfxy 2018-06-29
- RT @papersDev: It has been already a week since we attended the #CryptoValleyConference in Zug @thecryptovalley with our friends from @aete… 2018-06-29
- RT @cburniske: It doesn’t matter how good your technology is if no one agrees with your values. 2018-06-29
- RT @SolutionsKaze: The future is upon us and it is moving faster than you think! The Mayor of Zug in Switzerland (Where KAZE is based) just… 2018-06-29
- RT @GreaterZurich: Switzerland is a world leader in Initial Coin Offerings (#ICOs) alongside the USA and Singapore according to a study con… 2018-06-29
- RT @sionik_comm: Some numbers are too big to ignore – #ico sales continue to grow…as shown by @strategyand and @DanielDiemers & reported… 2018-06-29