- Who will you meet in #cryptovalley during this year's Crypto Valley Conf? #CVC19 @IBMBlockchain @Governmentofca2… https://t.co/JhLc6WbibL 2019-06-17
- Coming to the Crypto Valley Conf #CVC19 next week? Join us for a special deep-dive Satellite Event hosted by… https://t.co/FqooWF0ukL 2019-06-17
- @monaxHQ @CVConf_ @iamseanyoung See you there! 😃 in reply to monaxHQ 2019-06-17
- RT @sionik_: There will be a host of top speakers at this year's Crypto Valley Conf in Zug – from @ParityTech @validitylabs @hslu @StellarO… 2019-06-17
- It's almost time…time to do #blockchain in #cryptovalley! Grab a ticket and join us! 👉👉 https://t.co/zQYxx5GotS… https://t.co/8Sf2WBl8ro 2019-06-17
- Blockchain for the economy? Absolutely! We look forward to learning about the @wto view on #blockchain tech next mo… https://t.co/Qdjqn5xX4O 2019-06-18
- We're happy to partner with @CNNMoneyCH for coverage of this year's Crypto Valley Conf #CVC19 @CVConf_ – looking fo… https://t.co/voOyBLurbw 2019-06-18
- Looking forward to some great discussions and insights! #cryptovalley #CVC19 https://t.co/Evr0NGQxKf 2019-06-18
- Just around the corner! #CVC19 https://t.co/9xhddskqpa 2019-06-18
- Come meet some of the top minds in #blockchain next week! It's almost time for the #CVC19 in the heart of… https://t.co/GOqlD5IBew 2019-06-18
- Coming to the Crypto Valley Conf #CVC19 @CVConf_ next week? Join us for a special deep-dive Satellite Event hosted… https://t.co/xXE4dFCxIv 2019-06-19
- RT @JeromeBailly: Our 1st joint event @thecryptovalley x @EPFL_Park was a great success. Raising funds with tokens is a hot topic within th… 2019-06-19
- Coming right up – the biggest, most international #blockchain event of the year in Crypto Valley! Join us in the Va… https://t.co/ltbXdUHK4U 2019-06-19
- RT @sionik_: It's all about communication… #vc #venturecapital #investment #startups
How to Get VC Funding For Your Startup in Switzerla… 2019-06-19
- Congratulations on a great partnership to help further Swiss #crypto finance! #cryptovalley https://t.co/CP6y8hui7w 2019-06-19
- Not sure what to do next week? Join us in the Valley for the 2nd Crypto Valley Conf #CVC19! 👉… https://t.co/ylJjWFW25v 2019-06-20
- RT @CNNMoneyCH: CNNMoney Switzerland is very proud to be a media partner to the Crypto Valley Conference, hosted by @thecryptovalley Associ… 2019-06-20
- Who will you see in #cryptovalley during the Crypto Valley Conf? #CVC19 Here's just a sample! See more here 👉… https://t.co/5HWp5lE6Tl 2019-06-21
- Time is running out – just about 100 tickets left for next week's @CVConf_ in Zug! Join us in the Valley! #CVC19… https://t.co/UVylDOZAcC 2019-06-21
- It's almost here – just about 100 tickets left for next week's @CVConf_ in Zug! Join us in the Valley! #CVC19… https://t.co/I8jOLU02f4 2019-06-21
- RT @ber_chain: Team @ber_chain busy brainstorming and refining their #traceability solution at #sbhack in Zurich. Shout out to @apeunit and… 2019-06-22
- Time is running out – less than a 100 tickets left for next week's @CVConf_ in Zug! Join us in the Valley! #CVC19… https://t.co/AawiRKJM6G 2019-06-22
- Come on down to “the Valley!” 👌🏻👌🏻 #cryptovalley #CVC19 https://t.co/p9BNeOTgsG 2019-06-22
- RT @CVConf_: Almost sold out – hurry to join us in “the Valley!” #CVC19 https://t.co/MeLecZoLuv 2019-06-22
- Where should you be in 2 weeks? At the Crypto Valley Conf #CVC19 of course! Here's a taste of what you have to look… https://t.co/RSwGegadru 2019-06-10
- RT @uclcbt: Two weeks until this year's Crypto Valley Conference .
- RT @sionik_: Excited to learn what @StellarOrg is up to when Lisa Nestor from @stellar_lumens3 joins the #CVC19 Crypto Valley Conf in a few… 2019-06-10
- Less than 2 weeks to go until things get hot in #cryptovalley! Don't miss out by joining us in Zug!… https://t.co/76gs40eDjx 2019-06-11
- Blockchain with #blockchain people – and more! This is your chance to connect in #cryptovalley! Join us 24-26 June… https://t.co/OMf3WSeBur 2019-06-12
- RT @The_BSCC: There is still chance to register for the 2nd @CVConf_ in #Zug between 24th and 26th June. Register now and enjoy two and a h… 2019-06-13
- What is @StateStreet doing in the #cryptoasset space? Come join us in the Valley for #CVC19 Crypto Valley Conferenc… https://t.co/f38fM2HrNA 2019-06-13
- Coming right up – the biggest, most international #blockchain event of the year in Crypto Valley! Join us in the Va… https://t.co/nlxyhwTO7A 2019-06-13
- RT @CVConf_: Can't wait to hear from Heather Dahl of @SovrinID in a less than two weeks time! See you in the Valley! #CVC19 https://t.co/6R… 2019-06-13
- RT @ian_simpson80: Less arrogance and more cooperation…it is possible, right? (In @thecryptovalley…and beyond…) #cryptovalley @finews… 2019-06-02
- Crypto assets are hot – but where are things headed? We're glad to have @RogerDarin from @bitcoin_ch will join the… https://t.co/fIrOok1jLp 2019-06-03
- RT @ian_simpson80: If having the first widely-accepted #stablecoin is a prize to be valued, then the race is on between the US and Switzerl… 2019-06-03
- Who is worth listening to in the world of #blockchain? Not everyone – but check out the OFFICIAL AGENDA of the Cryp… https://t.co/YvVt7AbDlB 2019-06-03
- Tokens, token-economics, and more tokens…one of the original pioneers of #tokenised assets is Dr Luka Müller from… https://t.co/2KWZuy8rsJ 2019-06-03
- RT @sionik_: We are proud to support this year's Crypto Valley Conf #CVC19 – with top speakers from @wto (Emmanuelle Ganne) @IBMCH (Ulrich… 2019-06-03
- Is your #startup looking to grow quickly? Join the workshop on 18 June – a joint initiative of @EPFL_Park & the CVA… https://t.co/uN2AgQIADj 2019-06-03
- There is plenty of #blockchain happening in Germany – we're glad to have @heckerhut coming over for the Crypto Vall… https://t.co/rg9Catu7NE 2019-06-04
- RT @bity: Don't miss this year's @thecryptovalley Conference in Zug June 24th – 26th. This 2nd edition will feature two and a half days of… 2019-06-04
- There is no place to get more #blockchain this summer than the @CVConf_ – top speakers, #deepdive #tech and free La… https://t.co/UeyHJkLGJX 2019-06-04
- RT @elea_labs: The next step in the process of tokenised #realestate investments is being implemented – read about the progress of the firs… 2019-06-04
- RT @SWollkopf: The 2nd edition of @thecryptovalley Conference on #blockchaintechnology will take place on June 24-26. Save the date and lea… 2019-06-05
- RT @sionik_: Marleen Evertsz @MarleenEvertsz of @NxchangeFintech will be talking #crypto and #tokenisation at the @CVConf_ in a few weeks -… 2019-06-06
- See you there! #CVC19 https://t.co/e7Mww0jz7T 2019-06-08
- RT @CryptoInfosEU: @thecryptovalley is organizing another @CVConf_ event for the 2nd time in #Zug. #blockchain #Event @hslu @binance @Car… 2019-05-26
- The Crypto Valley Conf #CVC19 will be definitely international – come meet Kyle Kemper from the Canadian Blockchain… https://t.co/KluaZRGKNe 2019-05-27
- RT @sionik_comm: Planning to come to Zug soon? (For the Crypto Valley Conf for instance…?) #CVC19 Get familiar with the landscape with ou… 2019-05-27
- RT @SwissCGNY: .@facebook has chosen to base part of its new #cryptocurrency project in #Geneva! The city's tradition in international fina… 2019-05-27
- What's not to like about THREE days of #blockchain…right in the heart of #cryptovalley? Nothing! Join us!… https://t.co/ViG76LsY16 2019-05-27
- RT @web3summit: https://t.co/206iZi3oym 2019-05-28
- Is your #blockchain #startup looking for funding? Register TODAY for the 2nd Swiss Blockchain Investor Day from… https://t.co/bURQA1wW5a 2019-05-28
- RT @SahraBrean: 💥Geneva, 8June, 1pm💥Join the @thecryptovalley for an exclusive polo tournament and meet influential personalities while enj… 2019-05-29
- Come to Geneva next weekend and join the #blockchain lounge hosted by CVA – along with @ODEM_IO. See you there!
Ge… https://t.co/TKf8L9g6fH 2019-05-29
- 3 days, 100+ speakers…and so much more. There is nothing to miss at this year's Crypto Valley Conf! #CVC19 Don't… https://t.co/aySWSRmgjm 2019-05-29
- RT @CVConf_: Come learn from Dr Patrick McCorry during this year's Crypto Valley Conf #CVC19 – tickets available here 👉 https://t.co/vUpjZP… 2019-05-30
- Bitcoin rising? Blockchain for banks? Believe it…and come to hear all about it – with @bobbyclee and many others… https://t.co/8qRaKNgXbI 2019-05-31
- This is where #blockchain is getting built – in the heart of #cryptovalley! Join us for the 2nd Crypto Valley Conf… https://t.co/byPEcvN4GR 2019-06-01
- RT @CVConf_: Not sure how to kick off your summer? Why not with #blockchain during the world's only IEEE-accredited conference on blockchai… 2019-06-01
- RT @ICTinvestorclub: If you haven't applied yet, make sure you don't miss out. One day left to apply to pitch and meet experienced investor… 2019-06-01
- RT @CVConf_: Legal, risk and regulation – it's all part of the #blockchain battle – come to this year's Crypto Valley Conf #CVC19 and learn… 2019-05-19
- Many thanks to our partners who joined us from #cryptovalley last week in NY at #consensus2019 – now it's time for… https://t.co/JsD7mm1fIY 2019-05-20
- Switzerland continues to play a prominent role in the world of #crypto – listen (in French) to this interview with… https://t.co/GkMJlcZC8Y 2019-05-20
- RT @CVConf_: A renowned scholar and main motor in this year's Crypto Valley Conf #CVC19 – meet @PaoloTasca from @uclcbt. Grab a ticket here… 2019-05-20
- RT @CoinDeal_: Let's come back again with memories of the #Consensus2019 conference, during which we had a stand together with @thecryptova… 2019-05-21
- RT @CVConf_: Learn more about #blockchain – you better believe it! This is the place to do it – the Crypto Valley Conference 2019 #CVC19 Jo… 2019-05-21
- Learn more about #smartcontracts from @hslu Prof @WeingaertnerTim during the Crypto Valley Conf #CVC19 next month!… https://t.co/Xw4EweM0t8 2019-05-22
- RT @CVConf_: Here’s a great chance for #blockchain #startups – during this year’s #CVC19 Crypto Valley Conf! @startuptickerCH @CV_Labs @CNN… 2019-05-22
- RT @ICTinvestorclub: Calling all blockchain startups looking for funding: Apply Now to pitch to investors at Swiss Blockchain Investor Day… 2019-05-23
- Don't wait! Grab your ticket for the #cryptovalley Conference @CVConf_ now! (And get a little #blockchain into your… https://t.co/IfXMmW1nOs 2019-05-23
- RT @CVConf_: There is only one place to get this much #blockchain this summer – the Crypto Valley Conf #CVC19 @btc_manager @mashable @Crypt… 2019-05-23
- We were glad to have @MarleenEvertsz of @NxchangeFintech with us in NY at #Consensus2019 – and even happier that sh… https://t.co/bdqtKu7hUe 2019-05-23
- RT @ian_simpson80: Be on time with #bitcoin…? In Switzerland, naturally! #cryptovalley @lucas_lclc @RogerDarin @APompliano @bitcoin_ch
- Exactly one month from today we kick things off with the 2nd Crypto Valley Conf! #CVC19 @CVConf_ (Yes – you should… https://t.co/DZNnFVZsoo 2019-05-24
- Are you coming to join us in the Valley 🇨🇭 this summer? Just 1 month to the Crypto Valley Conf #CVC19 in Zug! Join… https://t.co/04b6pC6Ifx 2019-05-24
- Want to get in on the #cryptovalley action during this year's Crypto Valley Conf @CVConf_ ? You can volunteer to he… https://t.co/lq0nLOftww 2019-05-24
- Getting ready to kick things off here in NY at #Consensus2019 – come meet us in Americas Hall I with @_CV_VC_… https://t.co/SSDD4sDljS 2019-05-13
- RT @CVConf_: Looking for the next big #crypto event after #consensus2019 ? Join us in Zug for the Crypto Valley Conf 2019! #CVC19 Stop by t… 2019-05-14
- RT @LEXcellenceAG: Looking for insights on #blockchain and #crypto regulation in Switzerland? Come talk to us at the @thecryptovalley booth… 2019-05-14
- RT @SBH_USA: #Blockchain – a load of hot air or a revolutionary technology? If you want to know more about the technology behind the hype,… 2019-05-14
- There are many opportunities to build your #blockchain business in Switzerland – learn more while we’re here at… https://t.co/EsRiwIAhog 2019-05-14
- Can't get enough #blockchain and #crypto after #consensus2019? Use this special code for a Consensus discount on ti… https://t.co/PNpAEESH9c 2019-05-14
- Where to next for more #blockchain and #crypto after #Consensus2019? Use this special code for a Consensus discount… https://t.co/imDdTTI5XP 2019-05-14
- How valuable is a network? We’re just about to find out with our reception here in NY at #Consensus2019 ! https://t.co/ML4jal1VaD 2019-05-15
- „If smart people talk to you, you should listen…” Thomas Linder & Andreas Glarner from @MME_Switzerland talking… https://t.co/g1GWLtrJZM 2019-05-15
- RT @The_BSCC: We are delighted to support the 2nd edition of the @CVConf_, this year in the Freiraum #Zug in the heart of Crypto Valley bet… 2019-05-16
- EXPERTsuisse issues Swiss ICO accounting guidelines for asset tokens – Crypto Valley Association… https://t.co/Dccp6aa6xd 2019-05-16
- RT @sionik_comm: Don't forget to come to @Trust_Square this evening to learn more about the deep concepts behind #blockchain technology – w… 2019-05-16
- After #consensus2019 is before the Crypto Valley Conference 2019 #CVC19 – and there will be a lot of smart people i… https://t.co/aU7sNHOHfQ 2019-05-16
- Want to learn more about how venture capital works? Need pointers? Join the Venture Capital Academy Switzerland org… https://t.co/VXFOJqjczG 2019-05-17
- Great to be able to take #cryptovalley to NY & the world with @MME_Switzerland @_CV_VC_ @eidoo_io @GreaterZurich… https://t.co/d5Iy7T1UV6 2019-05-17
- Get ready for the next big event in #crypto – the Crypto Valley Conference in in Zug. Join us 24-26 June! More info… https://t.co/EI3RNpDloH 2019-05-17
- RT @CVConf_: Legal evangelist? Disciple of disruption? Meet @_GDS77_ from @PwCLegal – and hear him on stage at this year's Crypto Valley Co… 2019-05-17
- Join us – along with @peterktodd for three days of #blockchain #bitcoin and #crypto in the heart of #cryptovalley -… https://t.co/SiLT3wlY9T 2019-05-17
- RT @CVConf_: You want #blockchain? Come get it – in #cryptovalley…where else? Join us for the Crypto Valley Conference 2019 #CVC19. No fl… 2019-05-18
- Glad to have @MME_Switzerland as one of our participating companies, heading to NY for #Consensus2019 next week! Re… https://t.co/gDkwum7GBB 2019-05-05
- Looking forward to learning more about @NxchangeFintech during our time in NY at #Consensus2019!
Consensus NY 2019… https://t.co/KmQSW8jnS5 2019-05-06
- The first Swiss Blockchain Symposium on Blockchain Research from @uzh_blockchain is coming on 14 May – sign up to j… https://t.co/kzbVMDJOIC 2019-05-06
- RT @startuptickerCH: Swiss Blockchain Security Kick-off – Attend the event on 8 May 2019 at ETH Zürich, to hear about upcoming Swiss Blockc… 2019-05-06
- We'll be talking all things #cryptovalley and more in NY during the CVA Networking Reception "All About the Network… https://t.co/iSdy8rAWUL 2019-05-06
- Want to meet @LEXcellenceAG during #consensus2019? You can visit Booth 338/340 along with more of the #cryptovalley… https://t.co/t7rb0T5Dvr 2019-05-06
- Great to have @CoinDeal_ joining us in NY for #Consensus2019! Meet them and their team at Booth 338 in Americas Hal… https://t.co/71Fi0k64fp 2019-05-06
- What does it take to communicate effectively in innovation #technology? Meet @sionik_comm at the CVA Booth 338/340… https://t.co/EJjtVt76pS 2019-05-07
- Great to have @eidoo_io joining us in NY for #Consensus2019! Drop by and talk to their them at Booth 338/340 in Ame… https://t.co/zCNRPxxsdv 2019-05-07
- We're excited to have @_CV_VC_ joining us in NY for #Consensus2019! Drop by and talk to their them at Booth 338/340… https://t.co/EJpmmreIc2 2019-05-07
- Looking forward to it! #swissstartups #cryptovalley #innovation https://t.co/8KEicPI8a1 2019-05-07
- Here's what you can look forward to at this year's @CVConf_ #CVC19 Join us in the Valley! @dgt_switzerland… https://t.co/HIW2mY0jx0 2019-05-07
- RT @chain_security: Swiss Blockchain Security kicks off tomorrow at 6PM 🕧 with a top speaker lineup.
More at https://t.co/pEzuBhlWj9
- We'll be talking all things #cryptovalley and more in NY during the CVA Networking Reception "All About the Network… https://t.co/r0ElcGKoyj 2019-05-08
- Coming to #Consensus2019 – stop by Booth 338/340 to meet @algo__trader and their team! #cryptovalley… https://t.co/nurzP0ARmG 2019-05-08
- RT @close_cross: We're happy to join the @thecryptovalley at #consensus2019 – along with a lot of other great teams! Meet @VaibhavKadikar a… 2019-05-08
- Good news – @counoscoin just received its license in Estonia – find out more about them in NY at Booth 338/340 in A… https://t.co/zA3yKjE4J1 2019-05-09
- The #cryptovalley network is worldwide – we're glad to welcome Gwangju Institute of Science & Tech to our presence… https://t.co/mkx8tNRIqr 2019-05-09
- We’ll be happy to share „All About the Network”! #cryptovalley #consensus2019 @coindesk https://t.co/jszDNSRXH0 2019-05-10
- The CVA Regulatory & Policy WG recently submitted a position paper to the Financial Action Task Force – read more a… https://t.co/nZxyqimKWP 2019-04-29
- We're bringing Crypto Valley back to NY for #Consensus2019 this year – great to have @MME_Switzerland @_CV_VC_… https://t.co/4wAgEfwiNo 2019-04-30
- Learn about best practices in #blockchain #security from some of the industry's leaders – @chain_security… https://t.co/f1cjD9kWFV 2019-04-30
- RT @SahraBrean: 💥Geneva today, @6.30pm💥join us to hear about Quorum, #ETH permissions #blockchain, followed by a crypto party!
- We're excited to have @close_cross @NxchangeFintech and Gwangju Institute of Tech with us as Gold Partners in New Y… https://t.co/DqfbkTWF1r 2019-04-30
- RT @JeromeBailly: .@MehdiBechiri introducing @IoKomgo and its use of Quorum blockchain during @thecryptovalley Association Western Chapter… 2019-04-30
- This month brings a special meet up in #cryptovalley – hosted at the @DolderNews where #bitcoin will now be accepte… https://t.co/k2YDmgs4JO 2019-05-01
- Looking forward to introducing @counoscoin LEXcellence @sionik_comm and @algo__trader to #consensus2019 in just ove… https://t.co/suaeT8B0oG 2019-05-01
- Dive into the details of #blockchain with this in-depth look at the #tech on 16 May at @Trust_Square !… https://t.co/wfgzxzLCZd 2019-05-02
- RT @LEXcellenceAG: The @thecryptovalley ecosystem is known for regulatory openess – we're excited to represent #cryptovalley ecosystem at @… 2019-05-03
- RT @close_cross: We're coming to New York – with all the power of decentralisation and crowd wisdom – for #Consensus2019 – catch us while y… 2019-05-04
The CVA position was drafted and submitted to the Financial Action Task Force on 26 April 2019 by the CVA Regulatory and Policy Working Group Task Force with the guidance and support from Christine Gschwend (WG Task Force Leader), Thomas Stoltz, Tobias Kallenbach (Co-Chairs), and Dr Mattia Rattaggi (CVA Board Member).
On February 22, 2019, the FATF published guidance to Members and Observers on the application of Recommendations 10, 15 and 16 to Virtual Assets and Virtual Asset Service Providers (VASPs). The FATF also requested that comments be provided on the proposed amendments to Recommendation 16 captured under item 7(b) of the Draft Interpretive Note.
The CVA recognizes that regulated VASPs provide a reliable source of information for law enforcement in the detection, investigation and prosecution of money laundering and other forms of criminal activity. In order to allow VASPs to provide services that compete with those alternatively offered by decentralized technologies, the CVA has crafted comments and recommendations that support the prevention of money laundering and the financing of terrorism, while allowing VASPs to remain competitive in the quickly evolving market of Distributed Ledger Technologies (DLTs).
The comments and recommendations presented below in principle reflect Switzerland’s legal framework for DLTs.
- Executive Summary
The CVA recommends the following:
- The definition of Virtual Assets should not be broadened. The term VASPs and custodial services should be clearly defined.
- Recommendation 16 on wire transfers should restrict the activity of VASPs to recording and screening beneficiary information, but should not include the transfer of such information to the beneficiary.
- Recommendation 17 should allow alternative means of identity validation.
- Support for the strengthening of global private – public partnerships in the area of information sharing should consider relevant data privacy laws.
- Position of the CVA
1. Definition of Virtual Assets
The FATF uses the term “virtual asset” to refer to “digital representations of value that can be digitally traded or transferred and can be used for payment or investment purposes, including digital representations of value that function as a medium of exchange, a unit of account, and/or a store of value.”
The FATF emphasises that virtual assets are distinct from fiat currency (a.k.a. “real currency,” “real money,” or “national currency”), which is the money of a country that is designated as its legal tender.
In its Draft Interpretive Note, the FATF further clarifies that “countries should consider virtual assets as “property,” “proceeds,” “funds”, “funds or other assets,” or other “corresponding value”. Countries should apply the relevant measures under the FATF Recommendations to virtual assets and virtual asset service providers (VASPs).”
The CVA is of the opinion that the term Virtual Assets should not be expanded to include these additional references and that the scope should be limited to a digital representation that can be used by third parties as a means of payment for goods and services.
The definition of Virtual Assets could, however, be further clarified by identifying the categories of tokens that do not fall under the definition of Virtual Assets due to their legal or technological characteristics. We note in particular that utility tokens, which solely provide access to a digital function or non-financial service, cannot be used as a means of payment. The same can be said of asset tokens that represent the equivalent of a share, bond, derivative or other financial instrument, which equally do not have the properties of a payment token. The issuance of such tokens should not be subject to money laundering regulations.
We further recommend that VASPs and “Custodial Wallet Service Providers” be defined as follows:
Virtual Asset Service Provider (VASP)
Persons or legal entities that, on a professional basis; (i) accept cash of more than EUR/USD 100,000 as part of a commercial transaction, (ii) accept or hold deposited Virtual Assets belonging to others as a CWSP, (iii) assist in the investment of Virtual Assets, or (iv) assist in the transfer Virtual Asset from one party to another. Examples may include: centralized trading platforms or exchanges, issuers of Virtual Assets, Virtual Asset fund managers or CWSPs.
Custodial Wallet Service Providers (CWSP)
A VASP that has access to its client’s private keys and therefore can trigger a transaction on behalf of its clients (power of disposal over 3rd party assets).
- Customer Due Diligence (Rec. 10)
VASPs should be required to undertake customer due diligence (CDD) measures when carrying out occasional transactions above USD / EUR 3,000, rather than USD / EUR 1,000 as recommended under 7(a) of the Draft Interpretive Note. Implementation of CDD below this threshold will add administrative costs to VASPs, further disadvantaging them over decentralized DLT services, with little gain in terms money laundering prevention. Maintaining a low enough threshold of USD / EUR 3000 will, however, allow CDD efforts to capture transactions which may be financing terrorism.
- Wire Transfers (Rec. 16)
“Countries should ensure that originating VASPs obtain and hold required and accurate originator information and required beneficiary information on virtual asset transfers, submit the above information to beneficiary VASPs and counterparts (if any), and make it available on request to appropriate authorities.”
(INR 15, 7(b) R.16)
3.1 Transferring Transactional Data
As the infrastructure for sharing originator and beneficiary information via blockchain technology in a cost-effective manner is limited, VASPs would need to rely on existing technology to transmit beneficiary and originator information on DLT transactions (email, sms, internal databases, etc.).
Such additional steps for each individual transaction would not only generate significant administration and operational expenses, but would also be impractical when applied to the transfer of assets between custodial accounts hosted by VASPs and private wallet addresses. Implementing such a requirement would therefore require a multi-process solution depending on the nature of the recipient.
Of greater importance is the risk to an individual’s data privacy that would come with the transmission of data between an originating VASP and a beneficiary, which contains both blockchain address information and a person’s name and residential address. Given the ease of tracing transaction histories via block explorers, mandating the exchange of such data between parties with no or inadequate security framework can potentially expose personal data to privacy breaches, leading to exploitation based on a person’s discoverable transaction history, account balance, or worse.
With the understanding that the transmission of such basic information aims at providing financial intelligence units with originator and beneficiary information, in order to support the investigation of suspicious or unusual activity, we propose that the recording of such information continue to be completed by the originating VASP without the proactive transmission of the information to the beneficiary.
3.2 Obtaining Beneficiary Information
As VASPs have the right of disposal over 3rd party assets, they initiate asset transfers on behalf of their originator clients. To fulfill their due diligence obligation of AML transaction screening, the originating client could therefore be prompted by the VASP to provide beneficiary information prior to a transaction, much like in traditional banking where an originating account holder must identify the beneficiary’s IBAN, but also the name and address of the person to which funds shall be sent.
While it is true that IBANs contain more information on the beneficiary than a blockchain address, VASPs can nevertheless establish a technical solution that prompts the user to provide beneficiary name and address prior to a transfer. Whether the beneficiary’s address is private or hosted by another VASP is irrelevant, and therefore does not need to be known by the originator. AML due diligence must be conducted on the beneficiary itself, not the service provider of the beneficiary’s wallet address.
Information provided by a VASP’s client on the ultimate beneficial owner (UBO) of the destination address can easily be falsified or circumvented. However, VASPs can incentivize honesty in the disclosure of UBO in various ways, including by denying services in the event of a confirmed false declaration. The accuracy of the identity of the UBO can be confirmed by blockchain analysis service providers (e.g. Chainalysis, Elliptic, Coinfirm) or additionally, for very high risk / high value transactions, by requesting the UBO to prove their access and control of the beneficiary address by technical means, including digitally signing a message or sending a microtransaction, both which require access to the private key of the beneficiary address.
3.3 VASP Identification
The investigation of criminal activity can be supported by the identification of the originating VASP via blockchain analysis services, or alternatively in the free text field available under the various blockchain transaction types. Both UTXO and account-based transaction types provide for very limited textual data to be added to each transaction. Requiring VASPs to add an identifier (i.e. equivalent to a bank’s BIC) to each outgoing transaction could provide law enforcement with a source for additional investigative information, a less costly endeavor than transmitting external data between parties off-chain.
For the above reasons, we recommend that the following changes be made to the proposed Interpretive Note to Recommendation 16:
“Countries should ensure that originating VASPs obtain and hold required and accurate originator information and required beneficiary information on virtual asset transfers, submit the above information to beneficiary VASPs and counterparts (if any), and make it available on request to appropriate authorities. It is not necessary for this information to be attached directly to virtual asset transfers. Countries should ensure that beneficiary VASPs obtain and hold required originator information and required and accurate beneficiary information on virtual asset transfers, and make it available on request to appropriate authorities. Other requirements of R.16 (including monitoring of the availability of information, and taking freezing action and prohibiting transactions with designated persons and entities) apply on the same basis as set out in R.16″
- Reliance on Third Parties (Rec. 17)
Increasingly, a number of blockchain-based services are providing platforms for individuals to manage their personal data, including information relating to each individual’s personal identity. Such services rely on a number of different identity validation methods, not all of which are regulated, supervised or stem from a national authority itself. Recommendation 17 relating to the Reliance on third parties should therefore be amended to allow room for innovative solution to develop in this space. In particular, to allow alternative means of identity validation to be recognized as legally valid. Such solutions will ensure that children born in locations where identification documentation cannot be issued or individuals whose central national identity register is no longer available due to regional instability can be included in the financial services provided by VASPs and other entities.
- Powers of Law Enforcement and Investigative Authorities (Rec. 31)
The CVA welcomes the ideas presented by Global Digital Finance in its input on the FATF Public Statement of April 7, 2019, in which it details under point 2.2 the process for exchanging information on Virtual Asset addresses of interest under a global private – public partnership. If implemented, such an initiative should be compatible with data privacy laws enforced within each jurisdiction.
- RT @trinkler_sw: Join us May 16 @Trust_Square for our event w @Algorand : Fulfilling the Promise of Blockchain Tech https://t.co/4stKujaF3a… 2019-04-22
- Join the kickoff event of SWISS Blockchain Security on Wed May 8 in Zurich – hosted by @chain_security with… https://t.co/xGXAJJg34y 2019-04-26
- Lots of good news coming out of the #cryptovalley! https://t.co/5CCA4iTJyP 2019-04-26