We are joined by John Bass and Corey Todaro, who are respectively CEO and CPO of Hashed Health, an innovation firm focused on accelerating the meaningful development of blockchain and distributed ledger technologies for the industry. Hashed Health works to build solutions which leverage blockchain to solve some of the most important challenges facing this sector.
Support the show, consider donating: BTC: 1CD83r9EzFinDNWwmRW4ssgCbhsM5bxXwg ETH: 0x8cdb49ca5103Ce06717C4daBBFD4857183f50935 The healthcare industry is paradoxical. On the one hand, treatment technologies represent some of the most advanced science kno…
The new “FINMA Roundtable on ICOs” PDF is available for download from the regulatory materials section of the Crypto Valley Association document repository.
- Keep your finger on the pulse of the latest #cryptocurrency and #blockchain developments with our free news aggrega… https://t.co/JNvSRP5cFu 2018-03-18
- Want to present your #blockchain project/startup/research to a group of like-minded individuals? Association membe… https://t.co/D47XAG894H 2018-03-19
- The evolution of the Crypto Valley #blockchain ecosystem mapped by @Lakeside_Prtnrs https://t.co/AFiWtx3lyO 2018-03-19
- https://t.co/n1NbtczsJ1 2018-03-19
- Paying founders or devs in crypto: what do you need to know? New CVA blog post from #kpmg #blockchain… https://t.co/KY8PNrU4a2 2018-03-19
- Want to discuss cutting edge technologies with other #blockchain developers. Join our Coder events… https://t.co/hK9GDMHn4m 2018-03-19
- Looking for staff for your #blockchain startup? Or want to advertise an open post? Association members can advertis… https://t.co/ta7onQZ4NP 2018-03-21
- Do you agree with the consensus on the USD price of Bitcoin (BTC) at 12:00pm CET on December 31st 2018?… https://t.co/WYJ1r2GI1s 2018-03-21
- Excellent turnout for FINMA Roundtable on ICOs in Geneva. #blockchain #ico #regulation #switzerland https://t.co/MSWBWJMw0f 2018-03-21
- RT @SahraBrean: Q&A #Finma roundtable about #ICOs ! Thanks @thecryptovalley for making this possible in #Geneva. @RisingThinkTech @cyrillap… 2018-03-21
- RT @CVS_Network: "Blockchain is a team sport". A high-profile dutch delegation is visiting #cryptovalley today and learning about success f… 2018-03-22
- Submit your pitch to the #blockchain challenge by 30 April 2018 for a chance to compete in front of leading investo… https://t.co/TQr0U0ir6W 2018-03-23
- Are you a #blockchain or #crypto investor interested in high quality #startups deal flow from the Crypto Valley? A… https://t.co/XmA6Ve2zf7 2018-03-23
- Is #Switzerland becoming a new global #crypto hub for #blockchain companies? Let's find out at #CryptoSummit by… https://t.co/MJYoR8G0qs 2018-03-24
- https://t.co/mBEuuRI0YP is pleased to announce that Alex Tapscott will be joining us for an informal reception at t… https://t.co/uhOnSnrtjG 2018-03-24
We just received word that Crypto Explorers is hosting a reception with Alex Tapscott this Monday, March 26, in Zug. All CVA members and friends are invited to come out and meet one of the premier thought leaders in the crypto space.
More information on the Events page.
The Crypto Summit will be held on 27-28th March at Samsung Hall in Zurich. Overall, this event is set to bring together leading figures in the global crypto community including Vinny Lingham (CEO of Civic), Alex Tapscott (CEO NextBlock Global), Kathleen Breitman (CEO Tezos), Tim Draper (a venture investor), Jon Matonis (Founding Director of Bitcoin Foundation) and Ransu Salovaara (CEO of TokenMarket).
This year the Crypto Summit will expand on the previous event’s colourful programme of workshops, keynotes and panel discussions. The conference will also include two new tracks: the Crypto Investment Track and the Tech Track. This year’s summit is set to bring together some of the biggest names in crypto to share their experience and best practices for successful crypto investments and ICO execution, including a keynote from blockchain expert Alex Tapscott.
Last year this event became the first international blockchain conference in Switzerland, with 85% of speakers coming from outside of Switzerland and over 30 countries represented among attendees. The keynote was delivered by William Mougayar, one of the key thought leaders in the crypto financing field. This years edition devoted to the theme “Shaping crypto together” is currently open for speaker and sponsor registration.
You can get a 20% reduction off the ticket price by using this code: CVA_Crypto_Summit20
CoinCenter Director of Research Peter Van Valkenburgh joined us to discuss the state of cryptocurrency regulation in the US and recent actions by SEC, CFTC, FinCEN and others.
Support the show, consider donating: BTC: 1CD83r9EzFinDNWwmRW4ssgCbhsM5bxXwg ETH: 0x8cdb49ca5103Ce06717C4daBBFD4857183f50935 Over the past year, as cryptocurrencies and ICOs started to go mainstream, we have seen a huge surge in regulatory activities. …
Authors: Markus Vogel (Co-Chair Working Group Tax / Accounting / Structuring and Director Tax KPMG AG), Rinaldo Neff (Senior Manager Tax / Equity-based Compensation KPMG AG)
Tech start-ups may (partly) compensate their founders, developers or employees using cryptocurrency. There are various good reasons to do so. It’s an effective way for innovative tech industry employers to attract the most talented people, and it frees up fiat funds for investment in the growing business.
However, caution is critical. As these companies work on closing their accounts and preparing their salary statements for the year 2017, they should carefully assess whether allocations of cryptocurrency such as Bitcoin and Ether, own tokens or similar to founders, developers or employees triggered withholding and/or reporting obligations. As a consequence they possibly need to prepare for (immediate) Swiss tax and/or social security payments in fiat currencies. Answers to the following questions, are important factors for further analysis:
- How is the cryptocurrency payment qualified for legal and tax purposes?
- Where did the founders, developers or employees work and live at the time of payment?
- What is considered to be the date of realization for tax and social security purposes? Payment in cryptocurrency or conversion of cryptocurrency into fiat?
- What is the cryptocurrency intended to compensate?
- Will work need to be performed in the future or was the work performed in the past?
In most cases, Swiss tax law requires affected start-ups to prepare a specific annex to the 2017 salary certificates – in some certain circumstances even if no signed employment agreement is in place.
Due to the complexity of the topic and the current lack of clear rules or common practice, it is crucial to verify each case individually. In general, it is advisable to clarify the reporting obligations, tax and social security aspects of such grants and consequently assure correct withholdings by the employer or “employee”. Failure to do so may not only trigger subsequent tax and social security obligations, but also late payment interest, penalties and/or fines from the corresponding authorities – payable in fiat.
For more details, please visit: https://assets.kpmg.com/content/dam/kpmg/ch/pdf/cryptocurrencies-instead-of-fiat-salary.pdf
KPMG AG, which is a Strategic Partner of the Crypto Valley Association, carefully navigates your crypto business through all tax and accounting aspects (e.g. income tax, transfer pricing, value added tax, withholding tax and categorization of tokens) and provides innovative and sustainable structuring solutions in order to further fuel the development of your professional endeavors in the Crypto Valley. www.kpmg.ch/ico